Friday, March 06, 2009

To the PARENTS of BOYS


HELP.

You see, we're potty trained over here. Yep. No accidents. We're good.

There's just one small catch.

Aim.

Yep, you heard me. Aim.

Tell me you understand, PLEASE. I"m talking about each and every time Sam "goes potty", I end up cleaning the toilet, floor, walls, towels, sink and mirror, and even the CEILING a couple of times. Not to mention cleaning off Sam and me.

I don't know what else to do!!! Aim is a major problem around here. Sitting is a sprayfest and standing is WORSE. MUCH. WORSE.

Any tips? I'm tired of disinfecting my bathroom about 6 times a day (and changing clothes - both mine and Sam's!!!) HELP.

(And you parents of girls... you're just so very very LUCKY.)

9 comments:

Mia said...

So tough. With Ethan we finally gave up on him holding himself and just told him to push it down. While sitting, of course. Worked great after he learned not to push too hard and cut off the pee!

Danette said...

I tell Colin to "point down" while sitting. So he touches "it" and points it down. I won't start the standing thing on him for a while. Evan had been potty trained for at least a year before he started standing. That's my take, but I still do more than my fair share of disinfecting. Especially after night time potties... I think it just comes with the territory.

Jenn said...

My mom said she bought one of those picture things that stick to the bottom of the bathtub so you don't slip, emptied the toilet and stuck it in there. Then she told my brother to try to hit it when he went pee. So it was a game for him to try to hit the target. I'm potty training Joseph. He doesn't have an aim problem, but has lots of accidents. I'm not sure which is worse. Good luck!

bbond said...

Try throwing in a couple of cheerios right before he goes. Then he has something to aim for. Make sure to remind him that they would taste gross, and should not be eaten once in the toilet. Good luck!

Oh, and this is probably my favorite post I have read from your blog - and the comments too!

Em Russ said...

ha ha ha... this is why I am not undertaking potty training yet. And trust me, there are LOTS of issues with girls too. I can't wait to try it with one of each at the same time!! :)

MaryM said...

Lsat week in the children's museum at BYU, after Sam emerged from the bathroom stall where I had taken him and reassured him he really could do this without his potty seat, Lisa asked, "Did you go to the bathroom, Sam?" He started giggling and said, "Yes. I sprayed grandma."

Jenny said...

I haven't potty trained boys, but I was going to mention the cheerio trick. A few of my friends have done that. Someone already mentioned that though, and that's all I got. But I did get a really good laugh from your mom's comment. Grammys are so great!

Tiffany J said...

I have heard of a company that makes toilet paper with a "target" on them. This is supposed to encourage boys to "aim for the target". I know "motherhood" the store sells little things you can put in the toilet that are also other "targets". A friend of mine puts her boys, sitting down, FACING the tank of the toilet. This is so they get used to "facing" the right direction and it's a lot easier for them to hold onto the lid and go....hope it helps. We're not there yet...I'm dreading it

The Dwelley's said...

Go to my august 21st post. Backwards is the way to go with boys until they get their aim. They have to take there pants off but it is much better than the mess. Braden is 2 1/2 now and can pee standing up. His aim is much better :)