
1. Most importantly, it must be cute. Why bother carrying around something that's ugly???
2. Must have a strap long enough to put over your shoulder across your body, so it stays attached to you when you want it to.
3. LOTS and LOTS of pockets. There can never really be too many.
4. A divider in the bag so MY stuff stays separate from KIDDO stuff. See below - MY side of the bag. Two big pockets with custom dividers sewn in. Top pocket is complete with a velcro-stick-in-place flap to keep my cell phone, keys, chapstick, and gum from sticky wandering fingers. Bottom pocket has room for my checkbook, hand sanitizer, backup pack of gum (cuz sometimes you want minty and sometimes you want fruity. and sometimes you run out and just really NEED gum. and sometimes you chew way too much gum... but those who know me well won't be surprised by this at ALL...), pen, kleenex, and whatever else.
5. KIDDO side. Two big pockets on the bottom for diapers/wipes and food/whatever. A skinny pocket on the top that is currently being used to hold my COUPONS. And, yes. There is a velcro little divider that runs along the side.
6. What does that divider keep in place over there? A custom made TOY bag. (Reggs and Les... I added this to my bag last night with some scraps. You too can make one with your scraps!)
So when we are leaving for church / grandparents / wherever we go, I hand that bag to Sam. He can put whatever toys FIT in this bag. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't go. That way the toys aren't spilling out all over the inside of my bag. After all... it is MY bag. Also - this little toy bag is lined in the same light yellow fabric so that you can find things easily inside (like that ONE car that your child just MUST have or else he'll lose it in 2.7 seconds flat.)
7. Lastly... the EXTRA pockets on front and back of bag that stay securely shut with velcro. For those little things you always end up with. Papers, burp cloths, changing pad, food, clothes, toys, etc. You know what I mean. All That Stuff. That's what these pockets ought to be called. All That Stuff Pockets.
8. To be added tonight. Sunglasses sheaths hanging from the liner on MY side. To keep them nice, unscratched, and handy.And... that's a wrap. Stay tuned. I'm sure I'll make a different variation of this bag sometime in the next year. :) For now, I'll hang this adorable polka dot gem from my shoulder.
12 comments:
are you taking orders yet? cause IF we ever have another kid and IF it's a boy, i'm gonna be needing this EXACT bag!!! i'm officially incredibly impressed. never, in a million years, could i pull this off. and you thought of EVERYTHING a diaper bag SHOULD have! people are going to start hvaing babies just so they can use this bag!!
oh my gosh! I need this. After you taught me how to make the regular bag I dreamed about making a diaper bag for ages. I even had plans for one but it was not this cool. My favorite part: the toy bag. GENIUS!!
The part I am most impressed with is that you made this all by your little ol' self!
I can't believe all the people you have convinced/taught how to sew. You're changing the world, one seamstress at a time!
I absolutely need a pattern for this bag!!! With baby on the way (and lots of friends with babies on the way) This is not only practical, but stylish. Lisa has my contact info.
Marse! That is SO CUTE! I hadn't even seen your fabric and wham! - it's done! It looks pretty tall - how tall is it? Taller than your 1st one? Very cute - love the buttons that look like another polka-dot on the fabric. Tres bien!!
unbelievable! this looks amazing. i still need to get to the fabric store with your awesome instructions!!! i am in a blogging funk right now. i need to come out of it. i also need to hang out with you soon!
Thou shalt not covet...thou shalt not covet. THat is amazing. Marse, really, you are the goddess of craft and all that's good. Amazing!
Wow, that is one amazing bag. You are a genius. You could make a killing selling those. I love that bag you helped me make a few years ago. I still need to get that pattern from you.
Ok I'm totally jealous and would pay an arm and leg for that right now! I've been on the hunt for the perfect bag for three! Since we're having another boy I want something "rad" but "practical" ha ha. So far a Quicksilver Backpack is all I've seen until this!!! ha ha
Thats adorable ... I want one !! You are so talented.
That is incredible Marci! You are so very talented! The little "toy bag" is genius!!!!!
very cute, you thought of everything! too bad these aren't on the market! are you taking orders? i need a good diaper bag for my twin girls arriving in a month!
Post a Comment