Monday, February 26, 2007

"It's just carbon and hydrogen" OR "I like it fine."

First of all, THANKS to our loyal readership for posting comments! It was so fun to check my blog today and see SIX new comments! Wahoo!

Now, on to eating...

I've discovered that there are two ends on the eater type continuum. Matt represents one end and I'm the other. Let me explain...

I love food. I get excited about brownies, thai food, or a smoothie. My heart will race when I see my favorite Ben and Jerry's ice cream. I salivate at a delectable avacado with a pinch of salt or a flat of perfectly ripe and sweet raspberries (which I ate all by myself yesterday).

Matt thinks of food and eating more as a chore. It's just something you do to make your body go, do your work, have energy, etc. He's known for saying, "It's just carbon and hydrogen."

This used to cause problems in the first months of our marriage. I would make a new dish for dinner and be oh so excited about it. Matt and I would eat and I'd say, "How'd you like that?" He'd respond, "I like it fine." Finally I probed - what does this statement mean? How can he possibly like all of this varied food just fine? Well - it's because he simply doesn't view eating the same way I do.

Sam is like Matt. I can't think of any foods that Sam goes ga-ga for. He eats what's on his tray in no big hurry - whether it's cheese, crackers, fruit, veggies, or chocolatey cocoa puffs! There is one, only one thing he shows any zest for (and it's minor in my book), and that is graham crackers. Sam does love graham crackers... at least as much as he loves anything.

So, on Saturday, Matt was feeling a bit snackish and went into the kitchen to rummage. I found Sam and Matt like this:

I said, "AHA! Now I know where Sam gets his love of graham crackers!"
Matt replied, "Yah, I guess graham crackers are good. They're still just carbon and hydrogen."

6 comments:

Unknown said...

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: Not all quotations attributed to me on this blog should be taken as historical fact. For example, When Marci has made a new creation, I have never told Marci (and I never would tell Marci) that "I like it fine". Every husband knows better than that. It is only when pressed on whether I love it or hate it that I respond, "I like it fine".

Otherwise the post is (pretty much) accurate.

Boston Paynes said...

That is too funny !! I especially love Matt's comments in his defense. Brad never reads my blog so I guess he'd better watch out...hehehe

Shauna Brown said...

Great post!! Those graham crackers look delicious. Now what do you think about the Cafe Rio salad? That has to be better than fine!

Unknown said...

Yeah...I like Cafe Rio fine.

Jared said...

This is just an awesome story. At least you know where Matt will stand with almost anything you cook, though. The scary thought is what would you have to cook for him to say, "Well, that was not quite fine food."

MaryM said...

Dad got in my case yesterday because we were out of graham crackers. The two things you should never be out of in this house are milk and graham crackers! -Mom