Friday, January 08, 2010

Budgeting and Personal Finance.... HELP!


(Disclaimer: I have already asked for and received so many WONDERFUL tips via email from so many of you frugal and financially responsible people out there, so thanks!)

I have been asked to head up our "relief society meeting" this month (aka enrichment) on Budgeting and Personal Finance with an emphasis on both the importance of budgeting (and how) and how to save more and spend less.

So, blogger friends, any ideas? I would love to hear what works for you and your family, how you handle finances, who does the budgeting, if you use a budget - what you use, ideas how to spend less and/or save more... etc! Leave a comment or email me...

The presentation is in 11 days!

Oh, and it's supposed to be FORTY minutes long... HELP!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

We use Quicken - its great because we can track how much we are spending on each category each week and month and year and its great for tax season cause you have all your info right there. Also, I would mention that having savings automatically taken out of your check is really smart because you don't miss the money you never see. Case in point, most people can tell you exactly how much their last paycheck was for, but few people can tell you exactly how much the taxes were - because they never see it. Same principle applies to saving money - if you don't ever have it in the checking account you won't miss it OR spend it! Oh and I would address that money isn't a bad or evil thing, lots of people think it is, but if they could change their paradigm about money to a positive one that can really help. Good luck!

Johnny said...

I use Quicken too and it is great. But there is a great website called Mint.com (which was recently bought by the Quicken people). It is free and it will automatically get all of your transactions from your bank accounts and credit card accounts. It will help you categorize them and set up budgets automatically. Also they have lots of automated tips and analysis of your spending and budget. I think the key to making and using a budget is first to know what you are spending. Whatever is the easiest way to track and understand your spending is the best way to go. A budget comes automatically if you keep track of what you spend.

MaryM said...

Spend less than you earn.

Melissa @ Bookmark Dragon said...

Wouldja put up pics from Christmas already?!?? =D