Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sam's PIRATE Party

As you may recall, I have a little guy who turned 4 in November. We had the COOLEST Pirate Party for him! Here's some of the decor (that I scored for 80% off at Michaels...)


We enlisted two pirates to help (aka my brother Jake and his friend Jared)
First, the kids decorated pirate tambourines. I had drawn a pirate girl or boy on one plate and their names on the other plate. Jared oversaw this activity.
Thanks Jared!
Jake was just waiting for kids to line up for the treasure toss.
While Jared ran the WALKING THE PLANK game.
Sam loved walking the plank.
Poor planning on my part. I thought these games would take about 30 minutes and then I would do an activity with them. Well... it was more like 15.
We gathered our little pirates and practiced saying "ARG!" and making hooks with our hands, "jumping" from ship to ship, "crawling" around to find treasure... etc.
Basically anything I could think of that would take up time. We listened to "A Pirate Says Arrrrrr!" (fabulous song) as well as some Pirates of the Caribbean music.
Then came Pin the Patch on the Pirate
Sam went first
And our pirate was covered with patches by the end of the game.
We still had a little time to kill before cupcakes and presents, so we played more treasure toss (in the background of this pic), walking the plank, and playing with our tunnel.
Time for cupcakes!This fam pic is so-so... but it's the only one of all three of us. (Z slept through most of the party)
The kiddos loved these chocolate cupcakes...
... especially this cute little girl. She's the one with the same allergies as Zack. This was the very first birthday party she's ever been to where she could eat the cupcakes! She took a few very small bites and then told me that she wanted to take it home and eat a little bit all day long. How cute that she wanted to make it last!
After presents... well... we still had about 15 minutes left. So, I read them a pirate book that Sam opened from Marley. (Phfew! Thanks for saving me, Marcie!)
Then, we acted out the book.
With gusto.
Zack woke up and wasn't so sure about all these people in his house...
After acting out the book, we played hokey pokey.
Sam got really into it.
All in all, it was quite fun. Happy birthday, little PIRATE!


1 comment:

MaryM said...

You are incredibly creative and such a good Mom! Looks like the party was a blast for all those little munchkins! Wish I could have been there in person to see all those cute little faces light up playing all the fun games. -It was both heartwarming and heart-wrenching to see the cute little (allergy) girl savor every bite of her cupcake. Great of you to come up with a recipe that worked for everyone!