(Disclaimer... Blogger is having some issues once I post. My apologies if the font / text size are wacky...)Anyone who has been around me recently, knows that I am on a quest to find the PERFECT pancake recipe. Yes... food (cooking/baking) has become one of my favorite things. I love finding FABULOUS recipes and I love trying new ones.
So, here's the verdict. After trying many many recipes, here are the winners. Post your favorite pancake recipe if you think it will beat mine. Or just post your favorite breakfast recipe! I promise to try it. :)
Winner #1 - Delicious, light, fluffy, and 100% whole wheat. Yep... I said light and fluffy in the same sentence as 100% whole wheat. Impossible? I thought so until I tried these...
Deluxe Hotcakes (thanks Leese)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 T. baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 T sugar
2 egg yolks
1 1/2 c. milk
3 T oil
2 beaten egg whites (stiff peaks)
Mix in order. Gently fold in egg whites last. These are divine and healthy! Therefore they win.
Winner #2 - Buttermilk is the key here. Beautiful puffy yummy goodness.
Basic Buttermilk Pancakes
Whisk the following in a large bowl:
1 1/2 c flour
3 T. sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Whisk the following in a separate bowl:
1 1/2 c. buttermilk
3 T melted butter
2 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and gently stir until combined.
Runner-up. I tried this recipe based on pure disbelief that they would turn out anything like pancakes.... and they are delicious! These are rich and melt in your mouth. Definitely not healthy though.
Silver Dollar Hots
Lightly beat:
2 large eggs
Whisk in:
1 cup sour cream
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 T sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
Spoon one tablespoon onto the griddle for each pancake, nudging the batter into 2 1/2 inch rounds. (That's important or else they won't cook through all the way!)
That's it! Let me know if you have a fabulous pancake recipe you think might rival mine...
6 comments:
Marci - the one I love comes from The Best Recipe cookbook from Cooks Illustrated. It's in a box right now, but when it is unearthed I'll post it.
Sweet! We're Number 1!!! I am singing this to myself right now, "You go, Weese, you go! You go go go go !" hahahah - I am so hilarious! See you in 3 days!
I'll be the first to say that I'm not a big pancake fan. I'm going to have to share these with Mindy to see if my mind can be changed.
Marci, I got to your blog from someone else's in Boston. So I hope you don't think I am stalking you. We need to get together I am in Lehi maybe we can meet at the Zoo or something.
Amy Van Moorlehem
where is the recipe to 'winter white wheat pancakes'? I still remember those vividly from when your mom made them...back in our 'nancy drew day's. yum!
So, as I didn't make it to the store today your pancakes saved me as I made them for dinner. Tried your number 2 choice only b/c I didn't have any whole wheat flower on hand - and they were seriously yummy. Now ooking forward to trying the number one choice! Hope you guys are doing great. Sending you love from NJ - liza
Post a Comment