Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Day Eight... 265 Pies Later

I missed yesterday. BUT I have a good reason! Yesterday was crazy... but the end result was 265 apple pies made and delivered! We cranked out that many pies in about 1 hour and 45 minutes. (Yep. That's approximately 2 pies a minute. Awesome, ehhh?) It took a bit longer for everything to be delivered and the gym / kitchen to be cleaned, but it's DONE!

I think I suffered last night from post-apple pies traumatic-stress-disorder. I had nightmares all night that pies were left on back porches, or not delivered at all and left overnight in cars, that we ran out of apples before the pies were done, that the labels I had spent hours on were blank when I got to the activity, etc. Funny enough, Robin had nightmares too about returning apple peelers, measuring bowls, measuring cups and spoons to the right people! I guess we each had nightmares about our responsibilities!

And so it begins... with the apple peelers. (and the box people, but I don't have a great pic of that!)



Here's Jessie (above) and Hannah (below) going down the line with their bowls of apples - gathering ingredients from each person... Then stir, dump in crust, pat down crumb topping, put in box with label, and off with a driver for delivery!!!

And THIS is my favorite part of the above pic. Thad, one of our deacons, with his trademark thumbs up in the background. Hilarious.

Here's Annie showing off one of the "hat" options. The bandanas were by far more popular than the mesh hats.


And, finally, Katie is showing us how FABULOUS it is to take off that hat at the end of the night! :) Thanks for the modeling, Katie!


3 comments:

Lisa Michelle said...

Oh my apple pie... I can't believe you got that many done in that amount of time. Well done. And I love that kid's thumbs up, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Your hairnet pics are like something from a pantene commercial... I'm so impressed with the apple pie festivities!!

Em Russ said...

Oh how I miss all those "youth" (I started to type kids but decided to change it for fear of offending some!) I, for one, am glad you do apple pies because they are calling to me from my freezer. I can't wait to eat them. And, I LOVE that picture of Thad! It totally captures his personality!!